Thursday 15 December 2011

Great example of present simple vs. present continuous (to express a plan)

I was just skyping with a student from Spain, and we were talking about Christmas and how it would be less stressful if we didn't have to give gifts. Neither he nor I have bought gifts for our "significant others" yet, and the pressure is mounting!

We both agreed that we should get our families to institute a "no gifts rule," though I imagine that would be hard at my house, considering that "Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus" still think my brother and I are five years old (and I haven't been five for 30 years).

While we were talking, I thought of a perfect example to show how we use the present continuous to talk about future plans between people. Have a look...

Present simple (habitual actions, common facts):

> People usually give each other gifts at Christmastime.

Present continuous (to express future personal arrangements and plans)

> My family have all agreed that we're not giving each other gifts this year.

(If only that were true... ha ha)

No comments:

Post a Comment